Monday, March 11, 2013

Yellow-rumped Warblers Bathing

Even when you are sick and heading back home you can still do some birding. I have a head cold and took my oldest to school and then headed back towards home. However, I had to stop when I saw birds flying over the road just around the corner and noticed then taking a bath in a small puddle by the curb. Yellow-rumed Warblers were streaming in for a splash.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Sometimes they would bathe in groups and some arrived alone, wetting their feathers and preening for a minute or two before heading back to foraging.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

"Hey, guys! The water's perfect!".

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I love to watch birds settle in for a bath. They just bend their lags and kind of roll into the water.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Then they just shake around with their head held high. Splash, splash!

Yellow-rumped Warbler

A couple females find a puddle all to themselves.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

There was a constant stream of birds coming and going. Hard to decide where to focus.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

It almost looks like it is raining but this was just leftover water from the storm quite awhile ago.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

You have to really tilt to get those neck feathers wet.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Or just dive all the way in!

Yellow-rumped Warbler

"Give me that look again and will smack you, so help me..."

Yellow-rumped Warbler

"I warned you!" •!Smack!•

Yellow-rumped Warbler

The ripples settle quickly and provide some nice mirrored looks.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I could have stayed there all morning if it wasn't for this head cold banging on my sinuses...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really nice pictures! It's fun to watch them bathe.

I spotted a Yellow-rumped Warbler this morning but was only able to get one picture.

Michael
Caught On Camera