Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Comet Pan-STARRS

Working dawn to dark most days now. Little time for birding except through the workplace window. Sigh. BUT! There is something new to try and photograph on the way home. Comet Pan-STARRS is set to show in the Northern horizon. Last night was suppose to be the best photo op as it was going to be next to the moon but it was overcast. Tonight we have some clear sky just in time. I headed to the parking garage at Target and scanned the skies.

It took a while but I finally found it dimly shining not to far beneath the Moon. It was said that we should have been able to see it at sunset but it took an hour afterward to allow me to find it. City lights probably didn't help. Harder still, try finding a barely there subject through a view finder for a time exposed shot. Took me awhile to get aimed correctly.

Comet Pan-STARRS

Later, I took a longer exposure with a bit more zoom. That shows as the comet becomes stretched out over time.

Comet Pan-STARRS

I might try again in the upcoming nights but I am happy I got any shots at all. If I don't get out again for this comet I will be sure to get out for the next comet ISON around Thanksgiving.

No comments: