Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Baby Red-winged Blackbird

Such a noise outside! I looked out back and found a male Red-winged Blackbird plucking seeds from the feeders and bouncing around the Frog bird bath. It was fun to watch for a bit. THEN...!

I noticed a bird slipping into view from behind the side of the deck. Next, Dad slid over and fed the young bird as it decided it was safe enough to make its way closer to the back of the deck.

I was stuck inside and ran back to get my camera for a shot through the back window.

Red-winged Blackbird

Dad was feeding baby, our first arrival from the wetlands this year, and was very focused. I decided that I might be able to get a clear shot. I opened the door and for the first time ever Oscar, our cat, tried to get past me. I had to grab him, scaring the Blackbirds in the process.

Of all the times... At least I got a verified shot of fledged Red-winged babies. Time to watch for more chances and lock up the cat!

No comments: