Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Surprise Chickadee

We took a little trip to the Panhandle for Spring Break. Never made it to the beach but we saw some cool things along the way. I tried to do a bit of birding but nothing hardcore. I don't think I even tried for too many shots of birds at all.

We discovered that there was a small park near Tallahassee so we swung in there not long before dark to see it we could find something new. We were in search of a White-breasted Nuthatch which are said to breed in the park. They may, but we discovered that the park is around 10 acres of trails and we only had 40 minutes of light.

And still had to get to Gainesville, hours away.

So, I decided to just do a quick search of the nearest trail. Mosquitoes were getting bad so no one else would want to hang around. Luckily, right on the edge of woods was a familiar sound. A Carolina Chickadee was calling like crazy. Soon, it was almost directly overhead.

Carolina Chickadee

My son and I did not find much else on a short walk and the lake on the map was apparently very low due to the lack of recent rainfall. However, there was a bright male Eastern Bluebird on the top wires on the way back!

Eastern Bluebird

I need to make a plan to get back to this area again someday to visit a couple of other areas and hope to be back here to find those Nuthatches.



No comments: