Monday, March 12, 2012

Kingfisher and King of the Night

Took a little cruise around the work complex to see if I could relocate the Turkey flock. Now luck there but I did find a late season Kingfisher patrolling a small waterway. Nice to see this time of year. They will all move North very soon.

Belted Kingfisher

Later that night I went out to try some shots of the convergence of Jupiter and Venus. As I was getting things in focus when I a hear a splash on the edge of the lake I was positioned by. Odd. I looked around and finally spotted the source. A Barred Owl was down in the water, seemingly looking around for something. I am guessing it was one of our owls nesting the the back of our house as owls have about a one mile territory, well within the zone I was in.

It took turns in the water and up in the oaks so my planet shots would have to wait. Who can pass up this chance?

Barred Owl

Every couple of minutes the owl would go back into the water and bathe. Then it would head back up into the oaks. Thankfully, my dodgy flash woke up to grant me a few pictures.

Barred Owl

My shots of the planets were not too spectacular but who am I to complain?

No comments: