Friday, March 23, 2012

Another Cedar Waxwing Chow-down

I was just saying to my youngest yesterday that it seemed odd that the Waxwings have not taken advantage of the Loquats just around the corner. I headed to the store this evening and, sure enough, Waxwing crazy. I would have to delay groceries for a least a little while.

The trees were alive with the birds. They were in the Loquats, in the oaks, in the Crape Myrtles. When I first parked the Sun was in my face so I headed to better light. Waxwings soared in over my head and into the trees to grab fruit almost non-stop.

Cedar Waxwing

It was hard to decide on which branch to focus on as they darted back and forth. I only shot 200 photos tonight, but these are my favorites.

Cedar Waxwing

The Waxwings could hardly decide which way to perch as the fruit is thick all over the trees. Sometimes they had to lean back a bit.

Cedar Waxwing

The Cedar Waxwings should just about strip these trees today or tomorrow and then they will off to find others, including the local palms which are heavy with berries. This photo also shows the orange tips of the tail feathers that sometimes occurs instead of the typical bright yellow.

Cedar Waxwing

So many Waxwings this year. Most I have ever seen. Maybe I will get to witness another frenzy before they head North in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Dina J said...

Love these shots of the waxwings. He was chowing down. I've only seen them in Atlanta, not here in Florida. I've heard they're out there. Now I know.

J. Andrew Boyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. Andrew Boyle said...

They are still all over Central Florida right now, Dina. Saw an impressive flock of over 100 in a couple different places lately!