Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Northern Rough-winged Swallows

Just when I thought there would be nothing to chat about...

I had to make a run out to the Scout store just south of Apopka, FL. Cubs needed some belt loops and achievement pins and such. It was a nice day but I only had a short time in the middle of the work day.

On the way back out to the van I heard some calls far overhead. I couldn't determine exactly where they were at first. The echoes off of the building were a little distracting. Eventually, however, I spotted some soaring shapes in the clouds.

Once I spotted them my steps quickened. I nearly broke into a run to get to the camera! I have seen Northern Rough-winged Swallows flying by before but never had a chance to get a shot. I managed a few but they all turned out like this.

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Still, not bad for them being so far above me. The birds drifted south on the winds as they called and darted. In a few minutes they were out of sight and out of ear-shot.

Right place, right time.

No comments: