Monday, January 01, 2007

Another Visit with Vermi

What better way to start a new year than a return to visit the Vermilion Flycatcher? We didn't stay up all night welcoming in the year so it was a little easier to get up and over to Lake Jessup by dawn.

A little easier.

Weather was still a mess. Rain bands were streaking across the state quickly from West to East and the temperature was chilly but not too bad. It left me all alone with the wildlife. Everyone was either sleeping in or didn't want to get soggy shoes.

I was actually hunting for Sparrows this morning but I never found the target birds I was searching for. The cattle were moving farther out in the pasture but still eyed me as I stomped through the grass and mud.

I decided to head in the direction of the herd to inspect a new swath of land I hadn't walked before. As I glanced to my right I noticed that I was almost on top of the Vermilion Flycatcher just ahead of me! In the gloom I hadn't even noticed his bright red feathers for some reason.

Vermi, as I took to calling him, let me get pretty close. Every now and then he would fly off in another direction but I was able to approach again to about 20 feet everytime. Then I would head off to look for sparrows and come back and hang out with Vermi some more.

This continued for a couple hours as I tried to cover the cameras when the rain swung through. I got lucky enough to not be under the full brunt of showers blowing by but I eventually was cold and wet enough to call it a morning.

I said my good-byes to Vermi and sloshed out of the pasture. I also started the year with a picture I was happy with.

Vermilion Flycatcher

No comments: