Monday, March 06, 2006

A Favorite: Brown Thrashers

We recaptured one of of my favorite bird species this past weekend: Brown Thrasher. They are starting to arrive again in numbers and it only takes a few months absence to make me realize how much I like them.

Brown Thrasher

From those bright yellow eyes to the excellent reddish-brown back and tail to the marvelous brown spots on a bright white breast they are a lovely bird to behold.

Brown Thrasher

Maybe its the Mockingbird-like singing or the curious "chuck!" calls while foraging.

Maybe its because they fit in my hand a lot easier. Nice and hefty.

Glad they are back.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Wait...why are you trapping and holding these birds?

J. Andrew Boyle said...

I run a banding station here in the Orlando area. We track status and movements of local and migrating birds.