Monday, March 20, 2006

Back from Washington State

Whew! Longest vacation in a while. A good trip to catch up with the west coast relatives and get in some birding and sight seeing.

Shortly, I will begin recounting the birds portion in a day by day posting. After I finish scanning all relevant photos. Might be a little be. Only shot 19 rolls of film and 10 digital cards worth!

In the meantime, we got home late Saturday night and I had to check the feeders to see what was up while we were away. Holy Cats! Those Goldfinches were HUNGRY!

Every feeder was drained empty. Nyjer, sunflower, all except the suet which hasn't been touched since I hung it out. Oh, well. Need a different brand I suppose. Bird bath was dry and full of leaves since it is our "Fall" this time of year.

With an empty cupboard, I was afraid that the goldfinches had eaten and run. I filled the feeders near midnight and crossed my fingers.

We slept in late, still on west coast time, and by the time I checked out back...

American Goldfinches

Not too mad at me afterall! Time to head out and buy more nyjer...

3 comments:

FrenchTornado said...

Hi Andrew, nice pics. I have a question for you, how do you do to keep the squirels away from the feeders? I have this really nice feeder standing high on a pole but the rascals ate every thing before the birds could get to it!
Thanks for your tips
FrenchTornado

PS I live in Washington and have goldfinches and Stellar jays and hummingbirds all the time in my garden, real cool to watch them

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Hey.

Wow. A blast from the past. That was more than 2 years ago!

As for squirrels, you really can beat them entirely. You could try a baffle to place on your feeder pole but eventually they will find a way around it.

I gave up long ago. Now I have a squirrel feeder on a tree which occupies them most of the time. Until times like now (early Fall) when they ALL come out and take turns everywhere.

However, with 12 feeders around the yard the birds get their fill.

Good luck and thanks for the comment. Now I am going to have to look through your recipes!

FrenchTornado said...

Thanks and thanks, and please feel free to leave me a comment. Have a nice week end. Frenchtornado