Monday, March 27, 2006

Washington Jays


Some things we just take for granted. Or, maybe just we don't appreciate some everyday things for one reason or another. When you start looking a birding forums from different areas of the country or world it starts becoming obvious really quickly.

For example, to get an idea as to what birds I might find on our Washington trip, I subscribed to the Tweeters forum which concentrates on bird sightings in the Northwest. Early on there were excited conversations about a rare bird in the Seattle area: a Blue Jay.

For someone who has grown up seeing a Blue Jay seemingly everyday of his life this brought a little chuckle to my throat. Likewise, an earlier photo posting I did about a "common" bird, the Northern Mockingbird, turned out to not be so common throughout the country. Have to remind myself that common to me isn't common to everyone.

So, it was our turn to head out west and check out some common, uncommon birds. Speaking of Jays, I will showcase a few of the western types here.

The first species we encountered was along a road that swings by the Chehalis River called the Brady Loop. It swings through some farmland just off of the interstate. We were headed to Ocean Shores and my mind was more focused on possible birds there but we decided to drive through since it was mentioned in the Washington Bird Finding Guide.

Down near the river's edge, we paused to check out some activity along the fences but it turned out to be more Song Sparrows. A couple swallows teased me by flashing through so fast it was impossible to know if they were the sought after Violet-green versions.

Driving slowly onward, we came closer to a farmhouse with a little barn in the back. From the doorway, something blue shot out to the oak trees. Turned out to be a Western Scrub Jay! Hadn't counted on that. In fact, there were at least 4 though they never came any closer for more than a zoomed in view.

You can check out the Florida Scrub Jay for comparison here.

Western Scrub Jay

There were dozens of European Starling foraged with them and a Stellar's Jay joined in. I didn't get a closer look at a Stellar's Jay this trip until we got up to Mt. Rainier. I had seen a Stellar's Jay in Oregon on a trip years ago so it wasn't a new bird but I am still hoping to get a better photo. Until then...

Stellar's Jay

That shot was at the Longmire Lodge but the bird would not sit still too long. I had another shot on digital but that is the only card I have ever had that got corrupted. Lost my good Fox Sparrows, too. Oh, well.

The last Jay of the trip was hanging around with the Stellar's. Or maybe it was the other way around. This Jay was more curious and seemed to be looking for handouts where ever they were found. The Gray Jay.

I had seen pictures of them before but not in person. They are amazingly adorable, no?

Gray Jay

We saw them in several places along the roads and pull-offs.

Gray Jay

Very friendly birds. We sometimes had a half-dozen around us at a time. Every now and then one would launch themselves from a branch and fly right at my head before changing course to land nearby. Wish I had another day to spend with them.

No comments: