Sunday, February 15, 2015

Finally, Another Robin Frenzy!

Cruising through the Greenwood Cemetery to check on the Bald Eagle nest I noticed a bit of bird activity on the ground around the bend. We have had a pretty slow Winter when it comes to migratory birds but I showed up at the right time for one of the annual American Robin feeding frenzies. Before these birds head back toward the North they swarm the trees and landscape for al the fruit they can get to fatten up for the journey. They really like Camphor berries.

American Robin

I took my usual spot under the big Camphor tree and soon the Robins were dropping down to make sure I was no threat before they resumed their feast.

American Robin

Other birds were inspecting the tree like this Northern (Yellow-shafted) Flicker. This cemetery is my reliable place for this species.

Northern (Yellow-shafted) Flicker

A Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler posed for a few seconds in the middle of her search for insects. Yellow-rumps and Cedar Waxwing numbers were way down this season. Particularly the Waxwings that often trail the Robin flocks.

Yellow-rumped Warbler, Myrtle Warbler

This male American Robin barely gave me a second glance as he swooped down directly beneath my perch. I could hardly get him in focus!

American Robin

He soon wandered a few more feet out in the open and started gulping fruit.

American Robin

I am not sure if I will get another chance to find a feeding flock again this Winter. It is almost time for them to go home. Just have to enjoy it while I can.

American Robin

Next year, bring your Waxwing friends along with you, please. Though I love you guys just as much.

No comments: