Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Purple Martins and Spotted Sandpiper

The oldest had to attend a luncheon at church some I hauled him out and since I was waiting I remembered that the Purple Martins should be back at Baldwin Park nearby. When I first arrived there were no birds to be seen.

Purple Martin

I wandered around a bit until I spotted a bird circling overhead. A Purple Martin for sure. She flew in quickly and I approached quietly as she went inside the apartment. As soon as I focused on the hole she bolted out straight toward me.

Purple Martin

Not too much later, Papa flew in and surveyed his territory.

Purple Martin

Once the lunch was finished, we headed home and I finally found a shorebird at Lake Emerald. A Solitary Sandpiper was feeding, as its name implies, alone.

Solitary Sandpiper

In the middle of the quickly evaporating lake, a Tricolored Heron pants to regulate its temperature in the warming afternoon.

Tricolored Heron

Nice to have a couple of new birds for the year.

No comments: