Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kraft Great Egret Rookery

I had been worrying about the Great Egret rookery at Kraft Azalea Park after our big storms recently but when I went to check on it the roads were closed due to construction. I finally made my way through by now opened side streets. Babies galore!

Previous visits were a bit frustrating since the branches of the oaks were blocking most good shots of the birds. I was greeted by the sounds of many Great Egret chicks sounding off and right near the parking lot I got my first view of a Great Egret. After watching for about 30 seconds I noticed some movement under the adult in front of me.

Great Egret

A step stool may have helped me get a better view (which I may try tomorrow) but I was glad to get a view of my first chick sighting! In the tree to the right of that nest was another nest with two chicks. One was climbing on the edge of the nest and I had to maneuver around to get a clear shot.

Great Egret

Another nest provided another good view.

Great Egret

In a nest with two chicks I found them panting under the Florida sun and then nipping at each other's bills.

Great Egret

Unfortunately, I did find some carnage. There were several pilfered egg shells under some nest sites and one chick that apparently fell out and died.

Great Egret

Life in the big jungle.

I will definitely head back for more photo ops as the chicks fledge. I can't help but wonder how the neighbors like the cacophony of all of these chicks calling non-stop.

No comments: