Monday, April 11, 2011

Baby Brown Thrasher

Yeah, slacking. Not really. Most birding is confined to my banding project. You can see the results for the last few weeks here. Then, just when I was beginning to think I wouldn't have anything new for the regular blog for a while...

We have a high pressure system sitting on top of us here in Florida. Which means we are now 10 degrees above normal on temperatures. Today was forecast at 92. Still, I have nothing better to do at lunch than to check the cemetery nearby and see if anything is moving. Didn't look, or sound promising.

As I drove to my usual spot where I park I noticed a Brown Thrasher taking off to my right. They live here so it was nice to verify it but I thought nothing more of it.

I stepped out of the car and looked and listened. Not much calling or moving. I walked a bit farther and noticed a pair of birds under a small shrub. One was definitely a Brown Thrasher but the other seemed like a thrush. It suddenly dawned on me that this was a baby Brown Thrasher. Soon confirmed when the adult turned and started feeding the youngster.

Brown Thrasher

I tried to creep around the other side of the headstones for better light but the young bird spotted me and headed back into the shade. Soon, an adult spotted me, too, and flew over to check me out and to make sure I was not a threat.

Brown Thrasher

First baby Thrasher for me but I band older ones at Lake Lotus all the time. Four yesterday, in fact!

Definitely baby time in the area.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I stumbled upon your blog whilst searching for care tips for nestling Brown Thrashers. The Thrasher parent birds abandoned their brood after a feline invasion yesterday. Good for the babes that I am an avid and attentive bird watcher! If you happen to have any tips or advice for me on how to properly care for Thrashers, please e-mail me at: a.mckeighan@yahoo.com . Thanks in advance! Kudos, - Alissa