Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Great-horned Owl Over Jupiter

Last night I was out trying to capture some shots of Jupiter after I noticed something I never had before. I could see the moons of Jupiter through my binoculars! I ran back in the house to get the camera and tried some shots. This is my favorite.

Planets

The bright light is Jupiter. In a line from left to right as some of its moons: Europa, Io, Ganymede, and Callisto. The small spec above and to the left of Jupiter is the planet Uranus!

Tonight I went out for some more tries. Notice how the moons are in different orbits tonight.

Planets

While I was taking shots I noticed a dark shape glide out of the gloom and into a tree not to far from me. I had a feeling what it was by the flight and shape so I moved closer and got a shot including the planets. A Great-horned Owl!

Great-horned Owl

I zoomed in for a closer look. This shot is lit only by the moon off to the right of the scene.

Great-horned Owl

Timing is everything. The owl heard (or saw) something behind me and soon took flight to investigate.

What an awesome couple of nighttime viewings. Planets, moons, and a huge raptor patrolling its territory.

2 comments:

Rapunzel's Wish said...

Oh! This is OUTSTANDING!! - What beautiful shots!!
- We were able to see the moons of jupiter through our kiddo's telescope, but never could find the planet Uranus. I'll definitley be sharing your shots with my family! Great learning expierience! - And what a perfect gift for you, to have that lovely owl stop and pose for you ;)
Love it! Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

Can't believe that you can actually see the moons! Awesome shots. We have those Great Horned Owls in my area, but I never see them, only hear them calling to each other in the wee hours. Have to be careful with my smallest dog (5lbs) because I have heard they may go after them...