Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jay Watch, 2010, Day 2

Day 2 for this years Jay Watch and the thought for the day was that we may not see many jays on this new set of points. However, it never hurts to look. If nothing else, we are bound to see some other fun things.

Case in point, at our second stop there were sounds of Red-shouldered Hawk nearby so we had to pause and see where they were before using the call tape. Stepping to my left I spooked one hawk that was quietly sitting on the top of a small pine. Then I went a little more left and there was another that flushed around other trees.

Preparing to play the tape after the hawks were far away I looked ahead of me and saw this beautiful Saddlebags Dragonfly!

Saddlebags

Nice! But as expected the rest of the day was devoid of jays at our assigned points. To at least share a quick time with any Scrub Jays before we ended this year's search we drove to a known point and coaxed out a few birds for a photo op. Ended up with my favorite shot of the weekend.

Florida Scrub Jay

All in all, the data is helpful and I am sure I will participate again next year.

No comments: