Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tricolored Heron Babies

Got to take my youngest to Gatorland for a Scout event. I wanted to get out there since, after most of my life living in Central Florida, I had NEVER been to Gatorland before. Go figure, right? One reason I really want to get out there was that I had been hearing about the amount of birds that actually use to trees around the breeding swamp to nest and raise their young right next to the boardwalk.

My boy didn't want to stay too long but I told him that we had to at least get across the boardwalk so I could see the spot in person. Even though it was late in the breeding season we were not disappointed by the amount of young birds still in the nests or begging for food from their parents.

My favorite sight was that of a pair of Tricolored chicks loudly demanding feeding. Right in front of us.

Tri-colored Heron

The parent seemed overwhelmed but kept flying out to grab fish and bringing them back for the manic chicks.

Tri-colored Heron

There were many other species with young out there but these were nice in their bright plumage. I will have to get back out there earlier in the season next year. Probably alone so I can soak everything in at a slower pace.

1 comment:

Christoph said...

Awesome!! I spent sometime studying birds and wildlife this year. It lead me to the world of Photography. I followed your blog; love your shots!

My blog probably isn't down your ally however I do upload some photography. Check it out sometime.

http://thedailyconsciousness.blogspot.com/