Monday, July 05, 2010

Did I Mention the Bees?

I was out later one day last month just listening for birds as I am wont to do and noticed that a few Honey Bees were coming to the frog bird bath on the deck. One after another, they would buzz past me and get a drink before heading off. "Cool!" I think and go grab the camera.

Honey Bee

I was hand-holding the camera and had it set on macro so I didn't get a lot of good shots but it was fun to try. The bees didn't seem to mind me at all even though I was sometimes right on top of them.

Honey Bee

There seemed to be no end in the procession as they grabbed a spot around the edges of the water and lapped up the stuff.

Honey Bee

Eventually, I decided to see if I could tell which direction they were going after drinking. Seemed to be to the west. Wonder where the hive was. Had to be one with this many bees. Maybe I was the closest source of clean water in the upper 90s heat. I made it to the west side of our property and--HOLY CATS!

Honey Bee

A hive alright. Looks like it is in our studio walls! All the nightmare stories I have ever heard about having to call out exterminators and watching them tear into structures to remove bees or Yellow Jackets flashed before my eyes. How much is this going to cost?

Honey Bee

I do care about bees. Especially with all the recent talks about Colony Collapse. But I couldn't have this get out of hand. Or afford to have it done professionally. So I started spraying. The hive seemed to disperse. Those that survived the spray.

The next day the hive seemed nearly as active. More spray. More dead bees. More fled the scene. Two days later, more bees. I made a nighttime raid. Figured most would be inside and slower. I sprayed all I had into the holes where the bees were going in and out during the day.

The wall began to hum. Loudly.

However, only a few bees came out of the entrances. I went to bed, that sound ringing in my ears. By morning, there was little sign of the bees. A couple dead ones near the entrance. I banged on the wall. Nothing. Seems I got them.

I feel sad about it but with kids running around here I thought it best.

No comments: