Friday, May 07, 2010

Someone Lost a Bird, We Enjoy

We headed to the back yard to let the oldest snip some garlic chives for use in the weekend Scout camp out. He was halfway down the back steps as I got to the door and I had to issue a whispered, yet urgent, "Don't move!"

Why? Because there on the tray feeder was a brightly colored bird. Rather large. Never saw THAT in the yard before. I quickly backed into the hallway and made a break for the camera. It was still there when I returned. My son was just feet away from it.

Cockatiel

My brain clicked into action and 'Cockatiel' (Nymphicus hollandicus) popped into place but I still couldn't fully comprehend what I was seeing and photographing. I snapped away like crazy. What a beautiful bird!

Cockatiel

It eventually flew of calling. Now I know what that sound I heard yesterday was.

Cockatiel

Certainly this was an escapee but from where? It continued to circle the house for the rest of the day. Maybe it belongs to someone nearby. I will have to ask around. Weird.

No comments: