Monday, May 31, 2010

Juvenile White-winged Dove

My youngest boy was wrapping up his birthday party when I walked out back and was surprised by a seemingly tame young White-winged Dove. It danged near walked right up to me! So I ran back in to get the camera in hopes of getting some shots. Mission accomplished.

It did seem a little skittish when I came back out but if I slowed my pace it relaxed and continued foraging through the leaf litter. It even stopped right in front of me to catch a few rays for a couple minutes.

White-winged Dove

It then continued walking around and would occasionally display the kind of alert that adults show when figuring out the possible dangers nearby. A sudden stop and a tail pump upward into the air.

White-winged Dove

I sat in a chair on the back patio and fired away, taking nearly 300 shots, and enjoyed a close encounter while I could.

White-winged Dove

You can tell the younger birds by the tan feather edges. A lovely little bird.

White-winged Dove

Who knows, maybe we now have a family that will stay year-round.

No comments: