Friday, June 19, 2009

Cruising the Viera Wetlands, Part 3

During my early visits to Viera Wetlands I found a lot of birds in the Winter but I don't recall ever seeing any Black-bellied Whistling Ducks. The past couple of years, though, they have been all over the place!

I love these little ducks and we were lucky enough see them up close as they waded and flew over head. In fact, they were flying across the sky as soon as we drove into the entry of the wetlands.

Over in the bird gathering we discovered earlier there were several ducks keeping to themselves or flying from spot to spot.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

You would think these guys could get along as they are of the same stripe but sometimes squabbles would erupt!

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

Time for a test of the IS lens with flight shots. The ducks would circle several times before coming to rest and often flew right over my head.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

Even at a distance, those white wing feathers really pop out.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

I had a great time hanging with the Black-bellies and could have burned through tons of shots.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

However, we had more water to explore. It seems that this species will be here for some time to come. So I will end Part 3 here and finish up the tour with a few more birds and other nature next.

2 comments:

JennyoftheAK said...

I cant believe I hadn't come across your site earlier... These are great shots! What kind of camera do you use?

Had to comment on the wonderful site! Thanks for all the photos and info!

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Hey, Jenny.

I use a Canon XT and a 70-300 mm lens.

Thanks for the comment!