Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cruising the Viera Wetlands, Part 1

For the first time in a long time I headed out for an actual birding day. We had hoped to view the shuttle launch before dawn but it was scrubbed for a second time due to a hydrogen leak.

Oh, well. Off to find some birds at Viera Wetlands. There are a lot of photos to share so I think I will split this up into several installments.

Met up with a long-time friend, Cindy Nowlin, who was kind enough to let me borrow her IS lens for a couple of spins around the cells. Maybe it was more of a sales pitch because after using it compared to my normal lens (which I bought from her years ago), man...

Mosquitoes were fierce today, but not far into the drive there was a great chance to view the first Least Bittern of the morning.

Least Bittern

Nearby, a White Ibis in full breeding colors kept a close watch on our cars cruising by.

White Ibis

Some bird chicks were still in evidence and were well represented by Common Moorhens pecking at the vegetation as they headed toward their parents.

Common Moorhen

Perhaps to stay far enough away from the jaws of predators like this alligator.

Alligator

Thus ends Part 1. Tomorrow, I will show off the herons.

No comments: