Monday, June 26, 2006

West Coast Grebes

We have two fairly common Winter visitors that belong to the Grebe family. Most common is the Pied-billed Grebe which are also being seen in local lakes as of yesterday so it seems some are sticking around into the Summer.

The other is the Horned Grebe which we hear reports of over at the Cape area first and then start seeing them more inland. Last year I found one smack dab in the center of the state in Winter Park.

Hard as I tried, I could not make any of the Horned Grebes into Eared Grebes. Trust me, I tried. Nothing but Horned Grebes for us.

Horned Grebe

I did finally find a new Grebe while we were about to leave the docks from one of the landings on the way to Seattle. I wasn't sure of the species for a while. Had to really go through many comparisons since I had never seen one but I finally settled on a Red-throated Grebe.

Red-throated Grebe

Every time I walked near a more open shoreline I kept looking for either a Western or Clark's Grebe. As usual, once you stop looking, there it is. On the walk back from Dungeness Lighthouse, up popped a Western Grebe not far from me!

Western Grebe

Never did find a Clark's but that Western was a real treat just the same.

No comments: