Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Bufflehead

Another bird I have failed to find in Florida in Winter is the Bufflehead. I have been able to help others find them but when it was my turn to go out when I had time, they had already moved on.

Finding them in the Pacific Northwest is a piece of cake! However, the weather was either really bad when I found them or the birds were very far out for any interesting shots. I got a few OK shots, anyway.

The closest we actually got was while exploring Alki Beach. The photos don't show too great a detail in the gloom but the pattern is unmistakable. Especially the males.

Bufflehead

The females are a little more indistinct but that white cheek spot is another give away.

Bufflehead

Or, you can always get to know the look of the females by finding her teamed up with a male. This pair spent a lot of time diving for food and riding the churned up Puget Sound as we tried to stay warm in the stiff wind.

Bufflehead

After a few shots were in the camera it was time for a hot chocolate across the street from the beach. I look forward to finding them on a much warmer, sunny day here in Florida.

No comments: