Tuesday, June 27, 2006

House Finch

As darkness began to wrap the land around Bainbridge Island one night, I took one last stroll down the street. I noticed a fluttering in the branches and quick little bird darted into a nearby backyard followed by another small birds.

Peering over the fence I could just make out a bit of color in a Juniper tree. Moments later, both birds flew out and onto a fence directly across from me. House Finches!

House Finch

I kept hoping for a Purple Finch to fly into view the rest of the trip, but only had just a few more House Finches. The only other pair that even stopped for a minute near me was on the dead end road past Three Crabs Restaurant across from Dungeness Lighthouse.

House Finch

The House Finch is reported to be extending its range farther and farther to the South. Just this month I have had a male showing up at our backyard feeders. Kinda hoping he sticks around even though some don't like them.

I friend in nearby Altamonte Springs just North of Orlando has had them for at least 2 years. My first sighting was in Jacksonville near the beach last year in June.

More interesting is the variations in plumage in House Finches. Usually the males are brownish with a red crown and a red patch on the rear. Sometimes they are brown and yellow, instead. This yellow variant has started showing up in larger numbers. This past week there have been reports in Altamonte Springs, around Sea World, and I found one at the in-laws in Winter Park!

House Finch

This time of year I will take all the color variations as possible.

No comments: