Monday, January 18, 2016

Lake Apopka North Shore Drive. Again.

I headed to the North Shore Drive today and got there at sunrise as is my wont. I have made 7 tries to find a reported Gray-headed Swamphen and come up empty overtime. Today it ran across the marsh right toward me! Finally.

Gray-headed Swamphen

The light was rather harsh but I didn't mind. I had my bird. It was carrying what looked like fleshy vegetation.

Gray-headed Swamphen

The Gray-headed Swamphen walked around for a bit and then stopped to eat whatever it was carrying and soon vanished into the reeds. Nemesis no more.

Gray-headed Swamphen

Just ahead, a sleepy Red-shouldered Hawk rested on a telephone pole.

Red-shouldered Hawk

It seems that overtime I get a Northern Harrier next to me they aways keep their backs to me. About time I got a side shot.

Northern Harrier

Egrets and Herons were feeding in all the swallow water as the Sun continued to climb.

Heron

Belted Kingfishers were a little more generous with poses today before flying off.

Belted Kingfisher

I stopped for a check on the ponds were the ducks have been lately. Didn't see any today but I did get to watch as the American Coots displayed and chased one another.

American Coot

I got in the car and began to head down the road when I spotted a Pied-billed Grebe just outside the driver side window. Would have liked more light on my side, but...

Pied-billed Grebe

An angry looking Great Egret searched for a meal in the canal.

Great Egret

Again with the full framed Great Blue Heron!? Hey, I can't help myself.

Great Blue Heron

A lone Palm Warbler flitted around the small branches poking out of the water next to the car.

Palm Warbler

Not much on the backstretch today except for another Belted Kingfisher.

Belted Kingfisher

On the final turn an American Kestrel hunted and rested next to the sod fields.

American Kestrel

A typical day at the Drive but now I have a little more weight off of my shoulders. Thanks, Swamphen!!

No comments: