Saturday, September 19, 2015

Fall Migration at Mead Garden

Now that Fall Migration is kicking in, I decided to take a walk through Mead Botanical Garden, of course. I could not find many birds for the first 15 minutes. Odd. Then I did what I usually do to hopefully break the drought which is get that first photo taken even if it is an easy target like the first bird I did see, a Great Egret.

Great Egret

Even the boardwalk was quiet. Just me and a Cuban Anole.

Cuban Anole

One of the reasons I headed out was that a fellow birder had reported an Acadian Flycatcher near the creek. I wasn't sure if it would still be there but as I got to the giant cypress a bird flew out to catch an insect, nearly hitting me in the chest. It then settled on a branch just to my right. It was the flycatcher.

Acadian Flycatcher

You don't see Acadian Flycatchers, or most other flycatchers for that matter, that seem oblivious to humans walking close by. This bird just didn't seem to care about people being in its space at all.

Acadian Flycatcher

It fed low in the area, zipping back and forth across the path while I snapped photos and other people walked to and fro.

Acadian Flycatcher

The Acadian Flycatcher flew to the opposite side of the creek for a while and I had gathered enough shots to make me happy.

Acadian Flycatcher

Just after the flycatcher moved a little higher to search the branches a Carolina Wren came charging in to take its place. It was singing up a storm and posed just as close as the other bird recently had.

Carolina Wren

I had to move along, though, so I made my way to the spot behind the old amphitheater that typically has some good birds. Today was no exception but the clouds were moving in and rain might be on the way. In the gloom I could make out a small feeding flock and a flash of yellow betrayed a Prairie Warbler snapping up bugs.

Prairie Warbler

Just behind it was a Blackburnian Warbler. First I have seen since last year.

Blackburnian Warbler

Near the cement bridge, a huge flock of Common Grackles were suddenly swarming the area and making quite the ruckus.

Common Grackle

Trying to get a snack below the Grackles, a Red-bellied Woodpecker pounded away on slender branches.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Just before I got to the park exit I heard a call up in the trees. The view was horribly backlit but with a little photo processing I was able to confirm that the songster was a Yellow-throated Vireo.

Yellow-throated Vireo

Not a bad walk on a gloomy morning. Maybe I can find even more on the next visit.

No comments: