Saturday, September 26, 2015

Back Walking Mead Garden

With migration picking up I had to head back out to Mead Botanical Garden at least for a little while. Once I stepped out of the car I noticed a bird very high in the trees and tried to track it. It suddenly took oft the south but landed on an exposed branch. It wasn't until then that I realized it was a Scarlet Tanager! Not very common this time of year.

Scarlet Tanager

As I reached the bend in the creek I was greeted by a large Great Blue Heron trying to nap.

Great Blue Heron

Over at the pond I searched for warblers but all I could see was a Red-eyed Vireo. At least it was a passible photo for once. They fly so quickly behind leaves while feeding.

Red-eyed Vireo

High above us, another Great Blue Heron peered out across the landscape.

Great Blue Heron

I searched for the Acadian Flycatcher I saw on my last visit but instead there was only a Common Yellowthroat at the cypress trees.

Common Yellowthroat

Nothing else in this side of the park held my interest so I started back toward the car. When I reached the cement bridge a Wood Stork and I surprised one another. I took a photo. It sulked away into the trees.

Wood Stork

Down along the creek, a bale of Turtles rested on a log.

Turtles

I heard some loud chips up in a palm tree and after a bit of circling found a Yellow-throated Warbler racing from frond to frond in search of a meal.

Yellow-throated Warbler

A small feeding flock rushed to the nearby trees and snapped away at insects. You can hardly miss the Blue-gray Gnatcatchers as they flit about.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Tufted Titmice are usually heard first and then are rather brave about feeding close to people walking by.

Tufted Titmouse

A Downy Woodpecker was not grabbing bugs but caching nuts for the Winter.

Downy Woodpecker

I was exiting the property when I heard a lot of birds mobbing...something. Moving back inside the fence I found one of our Barred Owls just hanging around under the shade.

Barred Owl

Numerous Yellow Warblers were yelling at the owl but hard to get in the best light.

Yellow Warbler

I headed home but swung through the cemetery just for a check. Look who I found. Our Bald Eagles are returning to the nest.

Bald Eagle

A fun walk but not too many interesting things. Started and ended on high notes so I guess I can't complain.

No comments: