Sunday, January 04, 2015

Local Lake Search

This season has been so slow for migrants that I keep wondering why I even take my daily lake rounds to look for them. It has been consistently disappointing. A typical year usually has hundreds of Ring-necked Duck in the area. This year the best flock is on Lake Weldona with just over 30 birds.

Ring-necked Duck

There must be something out there just out of sight because I am starting to see more raptors on the move. This Cooper's Hawk was trying to stay hidden in a Cypress at Lake Lancaster.

Cooper's Hawk

On the opposite shore, the Great Blue Herons are preparing to nest in their usual oak trees.

Great Blue Heron

On to Lake Davis to look for a reported bird I haven't seen in a few years. The first ducks I found were a couple of young Muscovy Ducks that were hatched last month.

Muscovy Duck

Just when I thought I wasn't going to see any Anhinga, there she was.

Anhinga

A small flock of Blue-winged Teal have been hanging out this season. Mostly they cling to the shore under the shade. Today I caught one in the sunlight for a few seconds.

Blue-winged Teal

It seemed to take a while for the American Coots to show up this Winter but they are here and there around the area now.

American Coot

Rounding the last part of my lake walk I spotted the birds I was after. Northern Shovelers congregate in large numbers over on the coasts but some years they venture inland. They are another duck that stays in the shade a lot.

Northern Shoveler

Northern Shoveler males get pretty flashy. This is actually the 'dull' plumage.

Northern Shoveler

A few more species in the area with a little while longer to go. I have yet to see a Cedar Waxwing this season which is really odd. Waiting and watching.

No comments: