Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Larger Feeding Flock of American Robins

I was doing my rounds and after I got the oldest home from school I was having a feeling. Just seemed American Robins were so copious lately I needed to stop by the cemetery and see if they were finally visiting the Camphor trees.

Yep. They were all over the cemetery.

American Robin

As I described it to my wife, they were shaking the trees. Jumping in, pulling at fruit, and literally shaking the branches to dislodge more berries. A large amount of them were males.

American Robin

Unlike my last visit with a smaller flock, they were now coming down to the ground to grab the easier pickings.

American Robin

Once I settled down on a tombstone the birds flew in next to me to continue eating. I don't use flash, even though this American Robin looks lit up.

American Robin

I was trying to get a shot of the entire flock but it was difficult. Hundreds of birds were flying around me the entire time I was there.

American Robin

In this situation I always try to get a close shot of an American Robin on a branch right in front of me. It took a while, but one finally obliged.

American Robin

More and more dropped from above to pose around me.

American Robin

I always enjoy watching them picking out just the perfect berry. They will pick one up, pinch it, and either drop it in search of another or gulp it down.

American Robin

I was waiting for a shot of one of the birds to land on a headstone just to give a sense of place. Seemed to take forever when one jumped up in front of me.

American Robin

Then another on a toppled stone to my left.

American Robin

A gorgeous male American Robin stopped on another branch for a great pose.

American Robin

Suddenly, a new bird emerged from the flock and fed in front of me. You don't often see American Robin like this. This bird is showing a lot of leucistic feathers.

American Robin

A final shot of an American Robin enjoying the spoils of the Camphor trees.

Headstone

I cannot end without giving thanks to the dead who allowed me to use their headstones as a resting place as I photographed the scene. If I read this right, her name is Civility? Wife of W. F. Barber.

Headstone

Next to that was W. F. Barber himself. I respect cemeteries and you would be surprised how many birds you can find in the more quiet places around town. I love this headstone resembling a stack of logs with a banner draped down it. There are many creative headstones here at Greenwood.

Headstone

Now we wait for the next waves of Robins and we should soon have opportunities to have views of Waxwings before they leave the state. If we can get through the cold and rain.

2 comments:

Wally Jones said...

Great series on the Robin! And you're right about cemeteries being great birding spots - but be prepared to explain to law enforcement why you're there before sunrise. It helps to have a truck full of birding stuff to show 'em.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Luckily, our cemetery is locked until sunrise and closes by 7 PM so I don't to worry there!