Friday, July 12, 2013

Catching Up: Baby Mute Swan

So, I said I did no birding in June. I had posted this to Facebook but not here. My boys were walking around Lake Davis in mid-June and the oldest reported a signet was out there with the Mute Swan pair. I had to run out the next day to try for a shot.

Cute little thing.

Mute Swan

It was still very young and had trouble standing completely upright, wobbling back and forth when not walking to grab some scattered seed. A woman nearby raised a bunch of Mute Swans not to far away over the years and decided to release them into the area. Some stop by our lakes and others can be seen flying from spot to spot at times. This is the first time I know of where they actually have successfully bred.

Though not a native species, I am kind of happy to see this new signet that has joined our community.

No comments: