Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Revisiting the BirdCam

Being short on funds last year really had me cutting back. Sadly, one of the obvious cutbacks was bird seed. Got enough mouths to feed. So I shut off most of my feeders at the beginning of Summer. I also shut down the BirdCam. It was hot, seed was costly, I was unemployed and not happy.

Now, back in a full-time job and seeing more migrating birds, I decided to get it running again. Birds being captured in the lens haven't changed much. The unit is even more beat up. Squirrels have knocked it over a couple times and the focus seems a bit weird at times. BUT! We are up and running again. So get ready to be reacquainted with some familiar faces and, hopefully, we will get some new ones in the upcoming months.

You remember them. Mourning Doves. The most common visitor to the feeders. They were slow to slow up again but are back in force.

Mourning Dove

They may be a dime a dozen but I still really like Mourning Doves.

Mourning Dove

I did keep a couple feeders active over the Summer. One with a baffle and one without. I kept the Titmice and Cardinals happy and they really didn't need too much extra attention. The Titmice quickly switched from the front of the house feeder to the cam side fairly quickly.

Tufted Titmouse

Now, they are drifting past and onto all of the feeders. Fine by me.

Tufted Titmouse

One problem the cam seems to have now is low light shots. Things are getting too blurry. But I like this one because it shows that the Carolina Wren I banded in the backyard a couple years ago is still around. I knew he had a brood last year so it is nice to see him still hanging out. Guess we are supplying the right environment.

Carolina Wren

In fact, we put up a windchime at the entrance to our front door. It is a little watering can with the Cardinal points on the bottom. Soon after we set it up, the Wrens took up residence in it! Extra cool.

No comments: