Monday, December 05, 2011

A Closer Look at Mergansers

Headed home from our latest banding session and was greeted by two good fortunate events. Slightly overcast skies and 20 (!) Hooded Mergansers feeding right near the parking lot. Since I get there near 11 AM, I usually have bad light for photos and this is the largest gathering of Mergansers here in years.

So, I present a gallery of different Merganser looks. First off, A typically standard male pose with the crest relaxed and above water for a while. Bit of a flat-top.

Hooded Merganser

The females were there, too. Many flattened by water after dives so I was glad to have this more elaborate spiked version float by for a brief while.

Hooded Merganser

Here, a male displays a fully revealed crest while trolling the pond.

Hooded Merganser

Of course, we all need to stretch once and awhile. Nice to catch such a move in close proximity.

Hooded Merganser

Finally, I did not take offence at this male showing me its rear-end. It was simply preening and I do enjoy the layers of color on the undertail coverts.

Hooded Merganser

Nice to see this many Mergansers here this year. Now I wait to see what else arrives before the cold sets in.

No comments: