Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hooded Mergansers Return

We had a very interesting day at the banding station today. A lot of species and a few surprises. You should check it out.

Once I finish banding this time of year I like to make a slight detour by my old workplace to see what might have flown in to settle on the retention ponds. I have been expecting the Hooded Mergansers to return and today was the day. Near the road was a pair of females diving for food.

Hooded Merganser

Across the pond, a couple of males drifted back and forth. The light was horrible for shots but these will do for the sighting ID.

Hooded Merganser

They will stay in this general area through the Winter so I can try for better pictures week by week. Kind of comforting to know they are back in this spot year after year.

No comments: