Thursday, June 02, 2011

Goodbye to Palm Cemetery

Goodbye, Palm Cemetery. It has been fun.

While at school these past 9 months I have been spending most of my lunch breaks just down the road at Palm Cemetery which is situated between the public golf course in Winter Park. It was fun to track migrating birds as they worked the oaks and grounds of the place.

Cemetery Lane

Almost every time I visited I parked in the same spot, only seeing the occasional grounds keeper or visitor. Cemeteries are great for bird watching as it is almost always free of the living humans circling around the perimeter.

Van

Goodbye, Baptist church! Always looming across the 5th fairway, it was a good focal point for larger birds drifting toward Lake Maitland.

Church

The Spanish Moss hanging from the trees hides all kinds of food for the birds and they traveled in rather large flocks moving through on some days.

Cemetery

Turning back from the fairway you are greeted with a rather attractive view heading back to the van.

Cemetery

Though I don't know most of the names listed on the headstones, there are a few notables such as former Senators, famous local artists, and some of the names you find on local streets.

Headstone


So, I end my tenure watching the cemetery nearly everyday since last September. I will just have to trust the angels to take over.

Angel

Maybe, someday, I will make it back. All depends on where I land in this wonderful economy. I will probably make a post featuring birds I have found engraved in the headstones over the months. We shall see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You took all these pictures? They're great. I also love birds and bird-watching and nature. I am an amateur naturalist.

Yes, cemeteries are great places for bird-watching. I live in Virginia, but there that fact still holds true.

J. Andrew Boyle said...

Hey, Jessie.

Yes, every shot I post on this blog are mine. Thanks for the comment!