Sunday, January 23, 2011

Indigo and Ruby

An interesting day. We had to cancel the banding opportunity due to the cold but that didn't stop me getting a couple of interesting shots out of the day.

First up, the BirdCam provided a great shot of the Indigo Bunting residing in the yard hanging out with an American Goldfinch, no less.

American Goldfinch and Indigo Bunting

Later, I headed to the store on my weekly grocery run and got home to the sounds of a buzzing near the Bottle Brush tree out front. Then I saw it. A female Ruby-throated Hummingbird! It rested on a branch for a while as I ran for my camera. Fortunately, it was still there when I returned and then began to feed again.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Always an awesome sight to see these tiny birds feeding on nectar-rich flowers. Weather is moderating somewhat and more and more birds are coming out to enjoy.

No comments: