Monday, November 01, 2010

That Was Fast...

Wow. Did I really not do anything during the month of October? Nope! I was actually just busy wearing my other hat as bird bander at our banding site at Lake Lotus. We had the busiest month on record there during our 2 1/2 years!

I am also now in school full time so much of my days during the week are taken up by that and getting the kids to do their homework. There hasn't been much in the yard this month. I might also note that we have had ZERO rainfall for the entire month. Ugh. At least the temperatures have moderated and it finally feels like Fall here.

So! If you would like to check out what has been going on with the birds at that site for the month either click the link above to go through all of the month's entries in a long list (except for yesterday's which will go up in a couple of days) or select a certain week's post by clicking on any links below.

This past weekend I actually got to bird during a camping trip and will have some other things posted soon once I process the photos. Enjoy!

September 26th.

Buntings are Back!
We began seeing and catching Painted Buntings again. I think they enjoy the new grasses we let grow.

Painted Bunting

Female Painted Bunting

October 2nd.

I'd Say Migration is On!
Right on time, peak migration hits Central Florida! We scheduled a special Saturday to take advantage of the inbound birds.

Birds in Bags

Our first catches of the day at dawn

October 3rd.

A Little Slower
No Buntings today but a lot of birds still lagging behind the main group.

Common Yellowthroat

Male Common Yellowthroat

October 10th.

A Bunting Kind of Day
Loads of Indigo Buntings and Andrew gets attacked by Yellow Jackets.

Indigo Bunting

Male Indigo Bunting

October 17th.

Indigo Buntings Rule
We have never seen so many Indigo Bunting in one day. However, all we banded were females.

Indigo Bunting

Female Indigo Bunting

October 24th.

Orange Audubon Visits
Winds have shifted and the birds are harder to find. Just in time for visitors.

Crowd

Visitors await the next bird to be banded


See. I was busy. Can't wait to see what shows up next month.

No comments: