Friday, November 19, 2010

The Eagle Has Landed

For just over a month I have been swinging through Greenwood Cemetery to see if the Bald Eagles would return and hopefully begin a new nest since their last one fell to the ground after the dead tree it had been in for year finally gave into the elements.

Many in the area have been coming by to visit the eagle pair raise brood after brood over the years and it was a sad sight to see that nest scattered on the ground back in the Spring.

The best I could find was the pair back in the area but sitting in a tree right next to the dead one, seemingly unable to figure out what to do now that their old home was destroyed. Every now and then they would be back there just staring. Would they rebuild? I couldn't find any sign of it yet.

Then one day I decided to go around the very back road in the cemetery and glanced out to a great view. A nest!

Nest

I know there was an Osprey trying to build a nest earlier in the year and wasn't sure if this was one of theirs or a new Bald Eagle project. If it did belong to the Ospreys maybe the eagles would time-share, since their breeding schedules do not conflict. In this shot you can see the old tree in the background. I was just looking in the wrong direction all this time!

Nest

Still, no sign of the eagles at this nest every time I drove through. Until today! One of the eagles was standing on the edge of the nest this afternoon. I didn't have the camera with me so I will have to go back and make sure they are really moving in.

Fingers crossed...

No comments: