Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Babies This Late?

I returned home after dropping the youngest at school for the first day of the session and heard a slight, whispering in the trees. Stopping in my tracks, I listened and slowly looked around me. Another sound and a shadow amongst the leaves.

I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. It appeared to be very young Carolina Wrens! Like not out of the nest too long.

Carolina Wren

August is almost over, these seem to be a very late brood. I definitely had 2 chicks here, both missing tails. Since they haven't had time to grow in yet.

Carolina Wren

A more familiar sound began coming from the vegetation and out popped one of the adult wrens.

Carolina Wren

The other parent was up higher in the tree and had found a caterpillar which it quickly fed to one of the chicks before returning to the hunt. Once I thought about it, I do recall an earlier brood this year so our wrens are doing very well. I also love that they show little fear around me.

Wonder what else is out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CI was lucky enough to have a pair of wrens nest in a wall hanging clay pot full of impatiens right outside my bedroom patio door this summer. The nest looked like a tunnel down into the pot. They were so quiet for those few weeks that I wondered if the parents had maybe abandoned the nest....then one day, mama suddenly perched a few feet away on a branch and began singing her heart out - you could hear that she wanted something - and one by one, all her little ones (5!) popped out of the nest. Hard to believe that that quiet, tiny little nest held 5 baby birds!