Monday, December 28, 2009

Gulf Beaches

Before heading back to Orlando, we spent some time over on the Gulf beaches for a nice walk and then a fine dinner.

Our first stop was over at the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary at Indian Shores. As their web site states, this is non-profit is "...the largest wild bird hospital and bird sanctuary in the United States, based on the admission of up to 8,000 birds per year." They have all sorts of birds that they rehabilitate and then release back into the wild.

With all of the birds in the enclosed spaces other birds stop by to roost like this beautiful Black-crowned Night Heron.

Black-crowned Night Heron

We headed to the beach just beyond the sanctuary to let the boys play near the water. Of course, I was drawn to the other birds loafing on the beach and headed down to get some shots if I could. The gull I wanted to get a shot of was scared off by visitors before I could do so so I walked back to the family while combing the shore.

For some reason, this Ruddy Turnstone wanted to walk right up to me. Easy shot of one of my favorite shorebirds.

Ruddy Turnstone

Fun! We then headed to rotating dining room to eat and then stopped down at the shore one more time. I thought I spotted a new type of gull for me but it turned out to be another version of the common Laughing Gulls. Gulls are tough for me. Especially since I hardly get to see too many.

Here are many variations of Laughing Gulls found right there down the beach. Version 1, a juvenille:

Laughing Gull

...then older...

Laughing Gull

...then older still...

Laughing Gull

...then adults...

Laughing Gull

...and another.

Laughing Gull

Still searching for different gulls on my travels.

No comments: