Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ospreys at Merritt Island

Took a drive over to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge to try and spot the reported White-rumped Sandpipers hanging out along Bio Lab Road. I found them but they were too far out to get any good shots.

However, there were other birds along the lagoon including Black Terns, many waders, and more peeps. The strong winds seemed to have pushed the warblers inland.

One bird species that seemed quite happy today were the Ospreys. They were streaming by every couple of minutes and every one of them had a meal in their talons. This bird was across the road and getting ready to have lunch.

Osprey

It was interesting to watch this bird with that fish seemingly barely held onto and very much alive. Every now and then the fish would begin wriggling and the Osprey would have to try and keep its balance while holding on.

Osprey

At one point an Osprey flew by riding the wind really quickly. I managed to snap a slightly out of focus shot. Though I didn't see it at the time, when I got home to process the photos I noticed that this bird actually had TWO fish. One in each talon!

Osprey

No other great birds shots today but the gators are always posing somewhere along the canals.

Alligator

I updated my annual pass so I can't wait to get some more visits in this Fall through Spring.

No comments: