Monday, May 11, 2009

Killdeer Begin Again

Seems like after the (apparent) failure of the last brood the Killdeer are trying to start at a new nesting site along the banks of Lake Davis.

I walked down to see where they were seen a day ago and found one of the birds bathing in the water.

Killdeer

A closer search led to the discovery of the other of the pair seemingly sitting on a new nest spot.

Killdeer

The bathing bird noticed my discovery and quickly ran up to tell me to back the heck off.

Killdeer

The other bird held its ground and made an alarm call. I snapped a couple of shots (all of these using the zoom so I wasn't THAT close) and let them be and wished them luck.

Killdeer

Wishing them well. Another watch begins.


UPDATE: A couple days later I drove by to discover that the city ground workers were in full bore trimming and mowing down near the shore. This pretty much destroyed the nesting area. Great. Maybe next year...

No comments: