Saturday, June 14, 2008

Burrowing Owls

Almost exactly 2 years ago I was tipped off to a Burrowing Owl location. To this day I have kept that location a secret and will continue to do so until told otherwise. I still get a rare occasion to drive near the spot but have not had the time to drop back in again to see if the owls were still there.

This year, I had to make a swing around the area and decided to spend at least a few minutes making sure if they were there or not. Developers are getting closer all the time. I feared the whole field that they inhabited would be paved over.

Happily, I was wrong.

I thought they may have moved on after a quick scan of the fences lines but I finally spotted a bird about 60 yards outs. I knew pictures would not be good but I snapped a few any way.

On the way back to the van I looked to my left and there, on another fence post much closer, was another owl. Watching me. It even let me get a closer view.

Burrowing Owl

So, the birds are still hanging on in this changing landscape. I just hope that the owners of the properties can claim them as their own for as long as possible. These birds deserve a nice home.

No comments: