Saturday, December 29, 2007

Nice End to the Year: Vermilion Flycatcher

Wanted to make a run at finding Vermi again while I had the chance. If you have been reading along, I got many pictures of him last year and he returned in November but I wasn't able to visit him again until now.

Heavy fog shrouded the Lake Jessup pastures at dawn and didn't burn off until after 8 AM. The morning still provided some diversions as I waited, though.

Still, it took until much later before I found Vermi again.

When I first spotted him, I was on my way out. Nearby, a Red-shouldered Hawk was perched about 20 yards away. Vermi just preened in the cattails and waited.

I didn't see the hawk leave but once he did, the flycatcher resumed feeding and got closer.

I still had to slog through 2 feet of water and mud to get this passable shot.

Vermilion Flycatcher

Now that Winter is settling in, the water should dry up a bit and the going might be better for easier shots.

2 comments:

Gallicissa said...

stunning bird!

Island Rambles Blog said...

Lovely picture...my husband got some good photos in Phoenix..I only have a Western Tanager that I have seen, I have the Purple Martins on my blog today...I really like your site, can't find the contact, would like to reciprocal link to you and put you on my bird carnival post. Cheers.