Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Black-throated Blues and Other New Arrivals

Finally!

We were awaiting the return of the Black-throated Blue Warblers last week but they were just outside of our range. Following that previous day of banding, reports were coming in across the state of sightings. It took almost the whole morning but we finally got a young male pretty close to the banding table.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Not sure where exactly they place in my favorites list but it is up there. After all, it was my first picture I placed on my photography site years ago.

Just as the sun was rising last Sunday I extracted and banded our first House Wrens of the season. First banded, anyway. I have been hearing them in the scrub for a couple weeks. Beautiful birds in their own right, especially up close.

House Wren

Another of my favorite birds continues to find our nets. We have banded many White-eyed Vireos ranging from the resident adults and loads of newly hatched birds all Summer. The young birds have gray eyes but the adults white eyes are just stunning.

White-eyed Vireo

Now, if we can just talk the Golden-winged Warbler into a net soon. There have been sightings near the springs.

No comments: