Sunday, July 02, 2006

Harlequin Duck

Once I started to research the Dungeness Spit area I was finding a lot of mentions of Harlequin Ducks. Once I saw a picture of them I knew I had to find one on the trip. I penciled in the Spit as the most likely place I should be able to find a few.

Actually, we found a few on a quick stop at a beach on Whidbey Island. Some nice, distant, teasing glimpses of these awesome painted ducks. We headed to another small stretch of beach and they actually ended up closer to the shore while feeding in the surf.

Harlequin Duck

By the time I had made the trip to the Dungeness Lighthouse and back I managed to rack up several Harlequins as expected.

Harlequin Duck

It was actually harder for me to get a shot of the females. Can't remember why. I seem to remember they were diving as much or more and probably stayed behind the males from my point of view.

Harlequin Duck

Maybe they were just a little more shy since they were out with less makeup than their boyfriends?

Harlequin Duck

Glad I could add these birds to the list. Now if I can find them when there isn't a 40 mph wind blowing in my face...

No comments: