Monday, February 13, 2017

Looking for Breakfast

I head around the local lakes every chance I can to see what might be hanging out. Mainly looking for Wintering ducks but you never know. Today, I headed around and spotted a Great Blue Heron with a very interesting demeanor.

He was definitely on patrol and then I noticed that there were several Muscovy Duck males in defense mode closer to the road. I had to stop for some documenting photos.

Muscovy Duck, Great Blue Heron

Then I saw what the Heron was eyeing. Nestled next to an oak tree was a Mama Muscovy Duck blocking a clutch of ducklings.

Muscovy Duck, Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Herons will eat just about everything that moves if they can and this big boy was really interested in the duckling. The males did drive him off before I left but who knows what might happen later. They eat birds, fish, baby alligators, snakes, you name it.

Muscovy Duck, Great Blue Heron

I know that Muscovy Ducks are not natives but I hate to see predators in this scenario for some reason. Maybe they will make it, maybe not. Can't hang out all day. It is a jungle out there, even in your own backyard.

No comments: