Saturday, March 26, 2016

Clear Lake Park

I had to make a trip to the county electronics drop-off and once that was complete I remembered that there was a park I had spotted on Google Maps a few times and decided to swing in for a look. Clear Lake Park is behind a neighborhood and school and has a nice sidewalk and exercise stations for joggers.

Sign

I was unsuccessful at getting photos of the warblers moving from tree to tree so I headed back to the car were I was greeted by a Blue-headed Vireo right overhead.

Blue-headed Vireo

Encouraged by this I headed down toward the edge of the lake. Next time I will wear something better than flip flops. All kinds of twigs and such once you are off the sidewalk. The lake is lined with oaks and Cyress trees. Just offshore, a large flock of American Coots and a Pied-billed Grebe floated by in the bright sunshine.

American Coot

There is a short dock that juts out over the water and once I wandered toward it another Pied-billed Grebe drifted into view.

Pied-billed Grebe

Anoles scurried all around the entrance on the dock but I was more interested in the Skink that paused before me.

Skink

Across the lake you can see the recently renovated Citrus Bowl.

TK

I made my way around the sidewalk when I heard the sharp calls of Blue Jays raising an alarm. I changed direction and walked through the grasses and branches to try and locate what was bothering them. I didn't anything for a while but then a Red-shouldered Hawk came bursting out of the canopy and flew toward my car. I followed and managed one decent photo before he let out a series of calls and disappeared into the shadows again.

Red-shouldered Hawk

This looks like a good spot to find birds during Fall migration. I will be sure to visit here again then.

No comments: