Sunday, February 16, 2014

Lake Lotus Stroll

We decided not to do our usual Sunday banding stint since we were at the Orlando Wetlands Festival all day yesterday but I still had to haul all the gear back and get set for next week. Once I got everything back in place I decided to take a stroll down the net lanes and see if we were missing anything. It was actually pretty quiet so I didn't feel guilty about sleeping in for once.

I actually didn't even hear much bird activity until I reached the the end of the lanes. I spotted a pretty male Yellow-rumped Warbler on the opposite side of the river and tried to get a shot. Before I could get him to turn around, a female flew directly in my direction to capture a bug and landed not far from me. I'll take that one, instead!

Yellow-rumped Warbler

The Wild Radish plants have really come in strong this year. When we first ID'd this plant a couple of years ago there were a couple blooming radish. Now, they are spreading all over along the river.

Wild Radish

The only spot that did have a lot of activity was around Net 21, our final net on the property. Dozens of Yellow-rumped Warblers were feeding among the willows.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Closer to the water, a Swamp Sparrow scurried about in the grasses but never would come out into the open fully. I could hear several more calling on the marshes.

Swamp Sparrow

One more Yellow-rumped Warbler for the day. Seems like they are beginning to fuel up for their long trip North soon.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

I was hoping to get a shot of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet but it stayed deep in the shadows. Above the Kinglet, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher appeared and fed right in front of me. Pretty easy pickin's for it and for photos

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

It was a nice relaxing walk after my morning labors. Now I had to head back home for more chores.

No comments: